The National Weather Service has issued a wind chill warning for the Palouse starting at 10 p.m. this evening through noon on Saturday. During this time, wind chills of -25°F are possible. Extreme cold weather can be dangerous, and individuals should take extra precautions, including:
- Staying indoors as much as possible.
- If you need to go outside:
- Wear layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing. Trapped air between the layers will insulate you. Outer garments should be tightly woven, water repellent, and hooded.
- Cover any exposed skin, including your fingers, toes, ear lobes, and nose. These areas are most susceptible to frostbite.
- Wear a hat because much of your body heat can be lost from your head.
- Cover your mouth to protect your lungs from extreme cold.
- Mittens, snug at the wrist, are better than gloves.
- Try to stay dry and out of the wind.
WSU Pullman is carefully monitoring the weather and will provide additional information as it becomes available.
If your plans include travel this holiday weekend, visit https://wsdot.com/travel/real-time/mountainpasses/winterdrivingtips for helpful winter driving tips.