Ongoing COVID-19 response at WSU Pullman
For the latest information, please see https://wsu.edu/covid-19/ .Read Announcement
Welcome! Do you know about the WSU Alert System?
Welcome all new and returning students, faculty, and staff to Washington State University. As we begin a new academic year, it is important that we take a moment to emphasize our commitment to safety and security for everyone here at Washington State University. Our community is a busy and dynamic environment. Keeping our students, faculty, staff, visitors and vendors safe is our greatest priority. In the event of an emergency or potential threat, WSU has a robust system of communication pathways including text messaging, outdoor warning sirens and social media to notify the campus community. This letter is to familiarize you with the WSU Alert … » More …Read Announcement
To report an emergency:
NOTE: When dialing 911 from a WSU Pullman campus number, there will be a 7 second delay in connecting. WAIT! DO NOT HANG UP!
NOTE TO PARENTS: Our current system does not support parent or third party registration to receive notifications. However, we do allow each individual to list up to 9 different mechanisms for emergency notification. Have your student list your contact information as an alternate to theirs, and that will get you emergency notifications as part of your student’s contact file.
NOTE TO VISITORS: If you are a contractor working on the Pullman campus, here for a conference or sporting event, or visiting WSU Pullman for a short period of time and want to sign up to receive WSU Alert text messages, please text WSUFALL21 to 888-777. Simply opt out by texting “STOP” once you leave.
- Go to the myWSU portal and sign in using your network ID and password
- Click on the “Emergency Information” box.
- Click “Update now” to sign up or update your contact information.
- Complete the Washington State University student emergency notification form
- Once you have completed entering your contact information, please click ‘SUBMIT’. Your information has now been recorded and you are signed up to receive emergency notifications!
I got a text, call or email from WSU Alert. What should I do next?
- CONFIRM that you received the message. If you are asked to confirm receipt of the message, please do so. This is important as it helps us know if the message is getting out to the campus community.
- Follow the instructions given in the message, assessing your personal situation. This will vary depending on the circumstances.
- Go to the WSU ALERT website (alert.wsu.edu), call the WSU Informational Hotline (509-335-2345) or check other official internal sources to get more information on what is happening and what you should do in response. We can only provide a brief bit of information in the WSU Alert message so you will want to get more details on the situation.
- Follow the instructions of emergency personnel and comply with your unit’s emergency procedures as appropriate.
NOTE Even if you cannot understand the voice instructions, your default action should be to always take shelter and seek further information from other WSU Alert resources!
What should I NOT do when I get a message or hear the sirens?
- Do not ignore the message. You won’t get one unless it is important, so pay attention and be alert!
- Please don’t get on your cell or land-line phone and call your family/friends to talk to them about what is going on. WSU and Pullman have limited phone resources that can be easily overwhelmed due to high volume use. Please stay off your phone as much as possible; lines and cell phone capacity will be needed to get the word out to the campus community about the emergency, as well as for critical emergency communications.
- Ask your friends and family to not call you during an emergency. The same issues apply from above to incoming calls from outside the area. Ask them, instead, if they hear about an emergency at WSU to go to the WSU ALERT website (alert.wsu.edu) for information. Ask them to not call the University for more information during the emergency. The best place for current and accurate information will be the WSU ALERT website.
Do I reply to WSU messages?
Do not reply to WSU Alert messages other than to confirm receipt of the message per the instructions provided. WSU Alert notifications will be prefaced with WSU Alert in the message, and the from-address for WSU Alert email messages will be email@example.com.